Friday, November 24, 2006

What To Be Thankful For?

Same Thanksgiving as always I guess. At least that's how it started. You know, going over grandma and pop pop's house with my mom's side of the family. I guess it's because we're not so little anymore that it's just harder to keep ourselves entertained. Oh well, such is life! However, the food was as good as always and good food is definitely a plus! Maybe it's because my grandparents are in a new house now. Things just aren't the same anymore. No more firealarm going off every year. No more grandma feeding leftovers to the squirrels. No more upstairs guest room to hide in and play games. Maybe it was because I knew I was getting kidnapped next Sunday to have dinner with the same side of my family for my grandparents' anniversary. Something about this year's Thanksgiving just didn't have the same spark as years past. It was still fun and we still made our Italian stuffing (because evidentally there is a difference!). Oh and my family loved the pictures of the Haunted House and all the pictures I took of J&H (Amy, Doug, Meg: They thought our Newsies vs. Elderly trilogy was amusing!) And best quote of the night was by my grandfather (who saw the show Saturday night): "I don't know, Val. You and Jess keep getting casted as whores. I don't know why we bother to send you to college!"

We came home relatively early because Thanksgiving dinner was at 2:30 in the afternoon. I got to spend some time with my brothers Kenny and Bryan. Kenny and Bryan Ridge have been my best friends since I was 4. Bryan is still around, but Kenny goes to West Point so it's really hard to see him nowadays. I made them watch Grey's Anatomy, but it wasn't the same as watching it with the real Grey's Anatomy Gang. And I'm going Black Friday shopping with Bryan tomorrow because he's the best shopper I know.

It's comforting to know that you're real friends, like Kenny and Bryan, will always stick by you. I came home this break to find my Sesame Crew completely shunning me. I'm sorry I decided to go away to college. I'm sorry community college (or no college at all) was not the route for me. I'm sorry I don't intend on working at Sesame Place for the rest of my life. I didn't know I was going to lose my closest friends by making these decisions. It's tough being the only one to leave. But I guess I'm just easily forgotten...or wasn't loved to begin with. Wouldn't be anything new.

That's probably the one thing I really appreciate about college. It's true when they say you meet your real friends there. The people back here are fake for the most part. I have three friends here that I can honestly count on no matter what. Everyone else loves you when it's convenient for them. I've know the kids at college for roughly three months or so and already I'd gladly bend over backwards at the drop of a hat for any of them because they've already done so much for me. I mean, I guess it's partially my fault because throughout my life I've always been "older" (maturity wise) than my friends. And that has always set me apart. So being close friends with the older kids at college is just like repeating middle school and high school. Luckily I've made friends with kids in my class as well as the upperclassmen. That way my senior year of college won't be as lonely as my senior year of high school!

All in all I guess I'm thankful this year for the few true friends I have at home and the wonderful people I've met at college thus far (which if you haven't guessed by now is all you people reading this!)

Happy Turkey Day to all!

LaTeR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home